Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting solution means saving and/or sharing certain content on a hosting server handled by a web hosting company. There are various categories of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's take a glance at them. Thus, you can conclude what you need, depending on whether you desire to set up a web page, email box accounts, or to share files with comrades and associates.
- File hosting: a solution provided by various hosts, which permits you to share big files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting solutions are often supported by displaying adverts next to the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a specific amount of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting traders, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a totally unsuitable explanation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would assign the tasks at hand between autonomous packs of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving miscellaneous web space hosting services (email, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, web space hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a sort of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; specific vendors provide a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting variant is suitable if you want to share a great quantity of images with mates or colleagues since the solution is generally free of charge. You will obtain a random link for each and every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to managing your mail address accounts. Some vendors provide web space hosting solutions for sites, but do not provide an email hosting service. If you wish to create a mail address with your domain name but do not want to possess a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can set up email address accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video produces a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video files and several hundred web page visitors, you may have difficulty with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will permit you to use as many video clips as you want without bothering about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you require if you desire to run a website. To a certain extent, it encompasses all of the aforesaid hosting forms since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Exclusive Hosting, for instance, you can observe web hosting and dedicated web hosting services that enable you to get all of the aforesaid services in a single location. There may be restrictions depending on the sort of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web page hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are conceived for specific web content solely.